Hauser's Health Happenings

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Afraid of heights



Last weekend a group of us traveled for 4 hours to a rainforest in Kakum National Park. It is the only place in Africa and 1 out of 7 in the world that has a Canopy Walk through the rainforest. They say that it is not for people who are afraid of heights as the rope bridges are 250 feet above ground. There are 7 bridges all together each one connected by a rainforest tree. It takes about 30-45 minutes to walk all the bridges. I'm very afraid of heights, ( I have difficulty climbing stairs or walking on bridges). But I was determined to do this. I was reassured that the bridges are completely safe. But when all you have to walk on is a plank of wood surrounded by rope netting it can get very frightening. Especially when the person behind you decides that it would be fun to swing the bridge back and forth or by jumping on it. I wasn't happy. In fact, I was having panic attacks and hyperventilating. Once you start walking on the bridge you can't go back. It took everything out of me just to focus on the tree in front of me. Each tree had a tree stand that you can stop at and take photos. I was in no condition to take any pictures, to look down or to view the scenery. I was a nervous wreck. But I did it. And I'm so proud of myself. Would I do it again? I don't know, probably. Although I know that I will go through the same emotions all over again.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!:-) I'm glad you know how that feels, I haven't seen one of those since I was a little girl back in El Salvador, our was over a river. Of course the bridge no longer exist but my memory of it was just brought back in seen and hearing of your experience. Lots of love Elizabeth

11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home